Friday, June 5, 2009

Dancing Elephants

"It's 4:15pm... and I just noticed that my shirt is on backward..."

Melissa, the delightful girl I share a polyester cubicle wall with at work, pretty much summed up the last week to a tee with that realization. A few other words come to mind to describe it, but in the interest of brevity and keeping PTTP PG-friendly, I'll just go with hers. And maybe just one more: Riiiiiidiculous.

It was a week of long, long hours. We've all been there (or at least, that's what my New York friends and I keep telling ourselves... that the crazy, mixed up demands of working in this city are somehow... "normal"...ha. But gotta love it though, right?). Nights that somehow turn into the next morning. All but one or two lunches/dinners at the non-comfort of your desk. Fire drill after fire drill. Getting ready in the morning, thanking your lucky stars it's finally Friday because you woke up to a killer cold... and then realizing that no. It's... Tuesday. Sigh.

That's not to say that this week wasn't without it's silver linings, because trust me... it was. And more on those to come, sooner or later I'm sure... :) However, the point of this post is to make just one point: I. am. tired.

And all I wanted out of tonight was a glass of pinot noir, a good movie, and sleep. Blissful, pre-midnight sleep. So here I am in bed, ready to turn out the light after sneaking in a few chapters of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince when... they start: the Elephants. They apparently occupy the apartment above mine and they've decided to make themselves known again tonight. And these aren't just any Elephants, mind you. They are DANCING Elephants. Well at least, they better be putting on a stinking Riverdance up there for how much ruckus they're causing!

Ok, I get it. My complaining about "ruckus" before 1:00 am on a Friday night in the City that never sleeps probably (read: definitely) earns me all sorts of Lame Points. But every now and then you just need a night in, ya know? A quiet night to yourself to unwind from the week. A night without any craziness or small-talk at the bar or... Elephants.

So, dear Elephants of Apt 5C, if you happen to read this tonight, would you ever so kindly hold off on your dance rehearsal for the rest of the night? Just this once? And tomorrow, by all means - go to town. Heck, I'll even buy you all pretty new tutus for your next recital! Thanks for understanding. xoxo





(Ok, ok. I know those are Dancing Hippos. But I'm sleepy. And they're cute.)

1 comment:

  1. Hello; Would you like to BUY a Dancing Elephant????? Tee hee:)

    ReplyDelete