Monday, April 13, 2009

Once Upon a Wednesday

Once upon a Wednesday evening long, long ago, a wide-eyed girl who had just moved to the Big City made a phone call. Unbeknownst to her, this conversation was actually a foreshadowing of what would be a defining part of her New York existence...

"Hi Mom! Oh my gosh, yes! Bible study was so great... Amy and Nichole said to say hi. Yeah. Everyone is really friendly and it seems like it'll be a really fun group. And, Mom, there are these three girls - Alyssa, Amy and Kristen. Mom, they're ALL from Texas! Yeah, I know, can you believe it?? Yep, two of them are from Dallas and the other, Kristen? No. Wait, maybe it was Alyssa?? Ohhh I can't remember, I'll have to look them up on Facebook when I get home... But yeah, the other lives in Midland now. Yes! They ALL just graduated in May and moved up here in August too! They're even staying in my neighborhood until they find an apartment. We walked back together and just chatted the whole way! They went to A&M and a couple of them were in sororities too! Yeah, they're all looking for jobs in advertising or something like it. I mean, they're just all so... so genuine! I don't know... I just have this feeling. Mom, I think... I think we could be really good friends..."

Little did I know that all too soon (about a year and eight months to be exact), I would be remembering this conversation with a bittersweet heart. Amy's path led her back to Texas almost a year ago and in the next week or so, Kristen and Alyssa are moving on to brand new adventures in 'God's Country' as well. And while I'm so excited to see what's in store for them next, I just can't shake the urge to lock them up in my apartment and make them stay here with me forever. Childish? Maybe... But these girls, well, words just can't quite describe the impact they've had on my life here in New York so far.

Our early conversations over Tasti D Lite quickly turned into weekend brunches and play dates around town. No Hollywood Heartthrob has gone unrated since we've met and not a single episode of The Bachelor or Gossip Girl escaped without a G-chat recap the next morning. From day trips at the beach to snowy treks around the UWS to picnics in Central Park, we've definitely made our mark on this city.

But the most striking thing that comes to mind when I think about these friendships isn't one of our many exciting adventures - it's actually the overwhelming amount of trust that I have in each of these girls. And not just when it comes to dishing about our latest crushes (though yes, they've heard it all), but with the stuff that truly matters... Faith. Fears. Dreams. Missteps. I know that when I turn to these ladies with even my deepest concerns, I'll be greeted with open minds, hugging arms, and prayerful hearts. Friends like that are nothing short of inspiring.

They say New York changes people... but me? I'm realizing more and more that it isn't just the City that does the changing. It's who you meet here that can really shape your life. God blessed me beyond my understanding that first Wednesday night when He brought us all together - what a beautifully orchestrated plan! Alyssa and Kristen have helped me to grow in ways I never expected over the past couple years and I have no doubt that they'll continue to do so for years to come, no matter how many time zones are between us.

Love you both SO much! I'll see you very, very soon :) xoxo








"15For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and his incomparably great power for us who believe." -Ephesians 1:15-19

6 comments:

  1. Oh...just think if you were to move back to Texas as well :) Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me cry at work...again. You're such a special friend - no one will ever replace you! Long live gchat & Top 5...this will have to suffice until you move back to TX too. Love you B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IIIIIIIIIIII think I recognize a few of those faces :)

    I haven't seen you in way too long. Maybe I'll just have to come visit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the memories we shared. My heart is ok because I know that you have several reasons to come back to Texas.

    Butterfly Kisses,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never met you, but my precious sister has told me many wonderful things about you! Thanks for being her sweet friend. I hope we get to meet soon!

    Your post was so precious and I know you all have tons of fun memories. You girls are pretty fabulous! XOXO

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete