Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Goodbye, Betty

I'm not even kind of ashamed to admit that I'm pretty darn upset that tonight is the series finale of Ugly Betty... I don't care how silly it makes me that I still watch it when it seems like the rest of my demographic has moved on -- Ugly Betty was one of the few shows left on broadcast that I could count on for quality story lines, smart writing, lots of laughs, a few tears, and (perhaps most importantly) pretty, pretty clothes... every. single. week.

EW blogger Tanner Stransky did a beautiful job of summing up Why It Mattered.

"That pilot, right down to the fade-out song I once loved so, “Suddenly I See,” felt like someone had taken the past couple years of my life, candy-coated it, wrapped it in a Guadalajara poncho, and given it an 8 p.m. time slot on national television. Granted, I was not Betty. I did not work at a fashion magazine. I was not fighting all the b*tchery and prejudice that she did. But I understood her plight in so many ways: her desire to reach her dreams, her wanton lust for writing, her near-constant feeling that she was an outsider. The show’s wildly successful run as the lead-in to on Thursday nights must have meant many other people did, too."

Thanks for the fabulous and entertaining four years, UB! Here's hoping tonight ends with the start of a very happily ever after for everyone... :)

"That's love, right? When you know somebody better than they do and you would do anything in the world to protect them."
-Hilda Suarez, Betty's older sister

No comments:

Post a Comment